In the Summer of 2021, California’s largest wildfire, the Dixie Fire, roared into Greenville, California, as a wall of fire that destroyed everything in its path! It was a disaster of epic proportions. Fortunately, most of the 1,100 residents of Greenville were not injured. When disaster strikes, what is the role of a church? The nearby Quincy Seventh-day Adventist Church immediately partnered with community organizations and Adventist Community Services to develop a response.
Small Group and Leadership Questions:
Watch the video and ask participants to respond to the following questions:
- Does your church have a disaster response plan for itself? In other words, if fire swept through your neighborhood and destroyed your church facility, what would you do?
- What would you do if someone came into your church next Sabbath and started shooting people?
- Has someone in your church connected with local disaster response organizations or people? If so, who?
- What resources does your church have that could be shared in a community-wide disaster?
- If you haven’t done so, consider appointing a person or small committee to consider emergency preparedness.
Video produced by Pacific Union Conference Church Support Services.© 2017 - 2022 Church Support Services. All rights reserved. Click here for content usage information.