We all know that God calls people to be evangelists, doctors, nurses, pastors, and teachers. But what if I were to add artist to the list? One woman said her missionary parents told her (when she was a child) that she should not pursue visual art as a career because that would be outside of the realm of God’s service. Really. God called and used artists to help Israel build the wilderness Tabernacle. And He did it again later with Solomon’s temple. It is only fitting that the greatest Designer/Artist in the universe would call men and women to create art that echos His creative genius. Donald Towns is an Adventist member in Tehachapi, California, who heard that call at an early age.
Small-Group and Leadership Questions:
Watch the video and ask participants to respond to the following questions:
- Who are the artists, photographers, poets, and musicians in your church?
- What other creative disciplines can you add to this list?
- Why do you think God gives people the gift of creativity?
- What biblical examples come to mind as you think about music in the Bible?
- How were visual artists used in biblical times?
- Celebrate the creative gifts in your midst by featuring those passionate about the arts.
- How can the creative arts be used to further God’s mission in the world?