Building guitars from raw chunks of wood requires knowledge, discipline, and patience. Yet, with Duane Calkins—shop teacher at Sacramento Adventist Academy— one has to wonder what is being built. Guitars? Or kids’ lives? Hear Calkins describe how he became involved in a unique ministry of love that has “strings attached.”
Small-Group and Leadership Questions:
Watch the video and ask participants to respond to the following questions:
- Make a list of the unique gifts that people have in your church.
- Why do you think the kids are so motivated by Duane’s woodshop class?
- Discuss how personal hobbies or skills can be used to connect with people in your church or community.
- Talk about spirituality and creativity. Why did God give us the desire to create things?
- Plan a Sabbath that features several members sharing how their hobbies/skills have opened ministry doors.
- Can you think of a hands-on, creative project that youth in your church might be interested in?
© 2017 - 2022 Church Support Services. All rights reserved. Click here for content usage information.